Back to experiences


Discovering STEM Programme

Do you want your students to discover STEM, discover themselves and discover STEM opportunities, alongside being mentored by industry expert?

Discovering STEM Programme

Discovering STEM programme has been created to increase awareness, instil knowledge, inspire students, and provide them with practical building steps to pursue STEM careers.

The programme is planned to be inclusive in its reach, addressing negative perceptions and removing barriers that prevent students from getting into engineering. The programme aims to secure 75% representation from Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic students, with the remaining 25% open to other ethnic groups. This is due to the underrepresentation of people from BAME backgrounds in engineering, who comprise an estimated 7.8% of the UK workforce (Royal Academy of Engineering, 2020).

Our programme will target a cohort of 13 to 18-year-olds, securing them early enough before making key decisions that will impact their future careers.

The programme will host 3 evenly spaced sessions throughout the academic calendar, in three different locations in the UK. Each session will build on from the last, ensuring the students grasp the fundamentals to excite them about STEM. The planned sessions will include, diverse role models sharing their personal journeys and how they overcame barriers, show and tell, practical activities like coding drones, 3D printing, personal branding workshops, mentoring opportunities and career fairs.


Minimum of 30 participants, maximum of 33 participants.


£500 per session. The programme consists of a total of 3 sessions across the whole academic year, including mentorship for the students. Therefore total cost of the programme to the school is £1,500 for the whole academic year.


10 months.


Cardiff - in Cardiff Metropolitan University and open to various schools in Cardiff.
Manchester - in Manchester Metropolitan University and open to various schools in Manchester.
Nottingham - Yet to find collaboration with local university, therefore programme at the moment will be hosted in the school.

Learning outcomes

  • Improve engagement, interest or enjoyment in STEM subjects

  • Improve attainment and progress in STEM subjects

  • Develop engineering employability skills

  • Improve awareness and aspirations for STEM-related study and careers

  • Challenge stereotypes by showing the diversity of disciplines, people and skills involved in engineering

Subjects and topics

    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Computing
    • Design and Technology
    • Engineering
    • Maths
    • Physics
    • Chemical engineering
    • Design, art and fashion
    • Electronics, robotics and programming
    • Energy and environment
    • General engineering
    • Materials, products and manufacturing
    • Mechanical engineering, systems and processes
    • Medicine and healthcare
    • Space and aerospace engineering
    • Sport and fitness
    • Structures, construction and civil engineering

Gatsby benchmarks

The Gatsby benchmarks are a framework for good careers guidance for schools across all of England and in some areas across the rest of the UK. This experience helps your school to reach the following benchmarks:

  • Addressing the needs of each pupil
  • Encounters with employers and employees
  • Experiences of workplaces
  • Encounters with further and higher education

Essential skills

The essential skills every young person needs to succeed in education and their future career. Find out more at the Skills Builder Partnership. This experience builds the following skills:

  • Aiming high - the ability to set clear, tangible goals and devise a robust route to achieving them.

  • Problem solving - the ability to find a solution to a complex situation or challenge.

What the teachers say

We would love to read all about your time with this experience!

Log in to write a testimonial
Icon representing Secondary education Secondary

Inspiring the future

Find an inspirational STEM volunteer from the world of work for engaging virtual career talks, activities and Q&A sessions. 

  • Ages 11 to 18
  • Online
  • 1 to 2 hours
  • Free
Icon representing Secondary education Secondary

Amey chat & learn

Request a virtual 1-2-1 career talk with a professional from an engineering or construction company.

  • Ages 14 to 21
  • Online
  • Up to an hour
  • Free

Careers resources